Search This Blog

Saturday, 5 February 2011

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Ghandi. What a guy.

I just caught this statement on TV whilst channel hopping, trying to get myself to sleep, and it really struck a chord with me. It struck me so hard that i actually rewound the progam at least 5 times in order to listen to it again and again.

Now not many people know this, but last October I was quite literally living each day as if it were my last - I just didn't quite know it at the time.

I was sick. Not the cold/flu sort that you recover from naturally; more the 'if you don't have this surgery we're not sure If you'll last a year' kind.

In a fit of utter stupidity my digestive system had decided to bypass itself, meaning that all that yummy lovely nutritious food I was eating was doing me no good. The technical term is a fistula. By the time October rolled around I was almost knocking at death's door. Skeletal doesn't even begin to describe it. I couldn't even walk from my car into the office without feeling dizzy, lightheaded and sick.

Yet still I ignored things and tried to be my usual happy go lucky self. I blocked out my friends, my family and, most importantly, my new wife, who all pleaded with me to get myself fixed. It eventually took a firm talking to from my boss of all people before I finally saw sense and got myself sorted.

Nowadays I feel the best I have in 5 years or more. All thanks to those who pushed me when I was too blind to see things for myself.

So, going back to Ghandi and what he said. Live life as though you were to die tomorrow, I still do; just don't let it turn into a reality - there will always be at least one person who will miss you when you're gone. And that's one person too many.

Goodnight all.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment